Sunday, March 28, 2010

Decision-making 101: I've made my decision....and my decision is "YES!"

Have you ever had to make a really important decision? A decision that would not only impact you, but your spouse, your family and friends, and others to whom you're not related?

I've made a decision to pursue something. My decision is "yes." I think God is leading me in the direction of His will; toward doors that are opening with specific purpose. This is driven by the Holy Spirit, there's no other way to explain it.

Depend on the Lord, and he will take care of you. Psalm 37:5

One year ago this month, I took a tremondous 'leap of faith' to pursue a career in education. Today, I am qualified to teach English, Language Arts and Reading, and Social Studies in grades 4-8; a frequently requested substitute teacher; and employed as an 8th grade reading tutor at a nearby middle school. Professionally, life's pretty good...if I could just get that full-time teaching contract!.

Our wedding day - 03.31.07

Personally, my life is beyond blessed. I will celebrate three wonderful years of marriage to the love of my life, Kevin, on Wednesday. I have incredible friends, and I consider them all to be family. Neama and Stephanie's son, Cameron, turned two last week; he was the best one-year anniversary present I could have ever received. His hugs fill my soul and he melts my heart when he says Uncle Kebbie. He really is the cutest kid in the world!

Kimberly and I sip Shirley Temples and solve the world's problems; we both want to make a positive impact and that includes eliminating the 'stupid' and 'tacky' factor. Thanks to Rev. L's desire for an organic garden and eliminate-the-less-than-industrial-and-boring wall color in her office, I've discovered my dirt hauling and painting skills are way-above-average. However, my OCD-ness tend to surface excessively when it comes to paint lines and blue tape.

I created an online community and Facebook group, Busy Woman's Book Club, for friends, family, colleagues, and those who just want to read good stories and participate in regular discussions. I'm looking forward to the adventures of discussing books and general life topics with such a diverse group of women. And, it gives me an excellent excuse to spend even more time (and money!) at the bookstore.

Cameron and 'Aunt Co' - 03.20.10

Spiritually, I am growing and maturing in my faith. I am becoming more aware of small things, moments of miracles, that cause me to catch my breath and express thanks and gratitude to my Heavenly Father. I have very special and dear friends - I like to call them mentors of faith - at First United Methodist Church of Joshua. I appreciate their hugs, handshakes, laughs, and fine examples of what it truly means to be a Christian. I feel empowered by them all, to become greater and serve others better. 

Two weeks ago, I submitted application materials to become a Hunger Justice Leader with Bread for the World, a Christian organization dedicated to supporting legislature to end hunger and poverty in the United States. I am deeply moved by this organization's mission, and encouraged to serve the community in whatever means possible. If selected, I will join other Hunger Justice Leaders in Washington D.C. for a four-day advocacy training workshop. Again, doors of opportunity that I did not know existed have opened. I appreciate Rev. L's introduction to this community program and Dr. Bob Holloway for his letter of recommendation from the Fort Worth District of the United Methodist Church. It's not everyday you get a personal letter from the District Superintendent. He is a great guy and the greatest fan of chocolate I know!!!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: to whom much is given, much is expected. Next week is Easter, a time of celebrating Christ's resurrection and a rebirth for ourselves. During this Season of Lent, I pray that God will pour his renewing Spirit in all of us; that we will become the people that He created us to be.

If a door opens, I will boldly walk through it with unwavering faith. I am walking...boldly...and with faith that God is with me always. 

Grace,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment