Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ranch auction and Snowcones

Kevin and I were up bright and early this morning for a trip to Mertens, Texas for an auction. If you have not heard of Mertens, it is a tiny, one-horse-town located southeast of Hillsboro at the intersection of Highway 22 and FM 308. According to the city limit sign, the population is 146.

I love Smalltown, USA.

I wish I had taken my camera today. The scenery was stunning. Our drive took us from the busy and congested Interstate 35, near outlet malls (on tax-free weekend no less), to wide-open farm land filled with combines harvesting corn, cotton, and maze. The dust was all around, but the air smelled so much like home. The auction was located on a beautiful ranch with rolling hills, several ponds, and many heads of cattle. Kevin had his eyes on several pieces of equipment and implements, while I had my eyes on dragonflies and grasshoppers. The homestead set on top of a large hill overlooking a pond and there were several large oak trees all around too. One tree in particular was tucked away behind an old garage and away from the auction crowd. That's where I setup my own personal oasis for the day. It was perfect. A beautiful view, an awesome breeze, my big-fat-comfy lounge chair, and sweet tea from the local cafe. I drifted to sleep twice, it was so peaceful.

Another reason for my camera: We passed a small house with a hand-written sign in the front yard, "Farm fresh eggs, honk for service." Honk for someone to bring you a basket of eggs or honk for the hen to do her business?!?!?!

The auction was a bust for Kevin, implement prices were much higher than he was willing to pay. For the first time, in a long time, we came home with an empty flatbed trailer. Oh well...

Just when I thought the day had blessed me with enough goodness, I got to chat with Rev. L, read a thank-you note from Evelyn and Nate for their wedding gift, and the Monajami's came over for dinner. It was nothing fancy, just carryout pizza. I promised Cameron that if he ate at least one slice of pizza, I would take him to get a snowcone. He held me true to the promise and we both enjoyed a treat from the Joshua Sno-Ball. He wanted strawberry and I, of course, got banana. Have I told you lately how much I love these liquid sugar treats? YUM-MEE!!!! Driving back Cameron says, "Tank you Aunt Co, I wuv you."

Today was just too cool not to share with somebody. How is YOUR weekend going?

No comments:

Post a Comment