Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ready for New Years Eve dinner

I'm almost ready for our New Years' Eve dinner tomorrow evening; most of the food is prepped, the pork loin is marinating, and the table is set. Let me tell you, I did a test run of the spinach salad and it is DEEEEEEELICIOUS!!!!! I got the inspiration from the salad served at Mitchell's Fish Market in Louisville, Kentucky. It's a mixture of baby spinach, Granny Smith apple, goat cheese, and red onion drizzled with an AMAZING maple bacon vinegarette. I've included the recipe below, and I also made fresh croutons for an extra crunch. Can you tell I'm excited company's coming over?!?!?! I'm the hostess with the mostess.


Spinach Salad with Signature Croutons

The table is set. I've got plaid placemats and cinnamon-colored napkins with my trademark rooster napkin rings. I found some place settings on clearance, I'm using the plates and my milky white salad bowls. My favorite is Cameron's seat though, he's got a big-boy plate and his very own utensils!!!



Dining Table



Place setting



Cameron's spot - his utensils are adorable!!!


Spinach and Apple Salad with Maple Bacon Vinegarette
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. red cayenne pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 pkg. fresh baby spinach
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
Handful sliced almonds
Signature Croutons*
Salt and pepper, to taste

In blender, combine syrup, vinegar, and mustard until blended. Slowly add olive oil and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In large bowl, combine spinach, apple and red onion. Drizzle with dressing, toss to evenly coat. Top with crumbled bacon, tomato, croutons and almonds. Serve immediately.

Signature Croutons
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/8 tsp. coarse salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 sourdough baquette, cut into small cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl, combine butter and spices. Add bread and toss to coat.

On nonstick baking sheet, evenly spread the bread cubes.  Bake 10-15 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned. Cool croutons and store in a dry, uncovered container until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment