Sunday, December 20, 2009

Reason for the Season

It's a few days before Christmas and I just celebrated 26 years on Earth, life is pretty good. Of course anyone who dared to walk into my house would not know it was Christmas because there is not a single decoration out and about. I started talking about the tree trimming and stockings and snowmen (my Christmas obession!) back in September, I guess I should have gotten in the attic then. I didn't feel motivated to decorate once I returned from Kentucky. So...for the first time, Kevin and I have no Christmas tree adorning our living room, no stockings on the mantle, and there's not a snowman in sight. AHHHHHHHH - what's wrong with me?!?!?! Actually, it's been very humbling. What's the reason for the season? Why do we celebrate Christmas? Jesus's birth. J-E-S-U-S. Name above all names. But at the beginning of this Advent season, Rev. L began a series of Sunday morning sermons that has really made me appreciate the Christmas spirit even more. I'll explain: Have you ever thought about Mary, the mother of Jesus, and what her life was like? No, I mean really thought about her? A young Jewish girl, engaged to be married to Joseph, and approached by the angel, Gabriel, saying, "Favored one, you have been chosen." What on earth would you say in that situation? An angel sent by God to tell you that you are favored, and you've been chosen to give birth to the King of Kings. Holy cow!!! But go a bit deeper: Mary was a virgin and engaged to be married. She was in a pickle of a situation, she could be stoned. But what did Mary do? She was patient. She was hopeful. She was trusting. She decided, as I am painstakingly learning, to LET IT BE. Mary surrendered her heart, her soul, and her mind to God's will. She recognized God's work and simply allowed his will to progress. Mary was faithful, full of grace and love, and a vessel of new creation. Isn't that the reason for the season? For us to also give birth to Christ in a brand new way allowing others to see His love through our words and actions? Jesus is growing and developing in me, I want to share His miracle with others. Think a moment about Joseph. Who was Joseph? Often the forgotten man but truly, the miracle of Christmas completely rested on his decision-making. His wife-to-be was pregnant...and not by him! Joseph's story is one of my favorites because it solidifies the concept that Rev. L speaks of so often: we don't have to understand God's plan, to be a part of His plan. Joseph could have decided to leave Mary on the curb and go find someone else, but he didn't. Instead, he took his pregant fiance to Bethleham to his family, extended an immense amount of compassion, courage, obedience, patience, devotion, and above all, love. Again, another little piece of the miracle of Christmas! One thing I love about the Jewish faith is their willingness to accept everyone who enters their home without reservation and complete hospitality. The same is true with Joseph's story. He arrives in Bethleham with a pregnant fiance and his family welcomes them with open arms - come in, you are family! I am on a mission to share the miracle of Jesus' birth with my neighbors and friends by inviting them to Christmas Eve services at my church. I have cookies and personal, handwritten invitations ready to deliver. Even if they decline, I pray the Holy Spirit will flood their hearts and homes during this joyous, blessed, and wonderful season. I am more in love with Christmas than ever before. It's simply amazing how clearly I now see the nativity story. I am compelled to know even more and my passion of reading has been fueled to holy levels!!!!! Thank you, God, for your perfect plan and for allowing me to be a part. Even though I do not understand the "big picture," I'm honored to be a part of the cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment