Sunday, December 20, 2009

So much for label reading....

Five years ago I was diagnosed with an allergy to cow's milk (dairy). This is NOT the same as lactose intolerant. Needless to say, I have learned to read ingredient labels like a professional. From bread to cereal to pasta to salad dressings and even deli lunch meat, it's amazing which products contain milk, milk proteins, or milk derivatives. Fast forward to yesterday...I went to Walmart to purchase groceries because the pantry shelves were empty. I need the bare essentials (bread, eggs, milk) plus some extras. I am running through the aisles like a chicken with its head cut off. One: I didn't want to get out of my jammies; Two: I was comfy on the couch; Three: it's the last weekend prior to Christmas; and Four: all the crazy people shop at Walmart on Saturday afternoons!!!! Opening the dairy case I notice that Walmart carries its own brand (Great Value) of soymilk, plus it's about 50-cents cheaper than Silk. I grab the GV!!! The one time - oh heck, I'm sure there have been others! - I don't glance at the soymilk carton's ingredients label is the time I wish I had. I look at the carton this afternoon and wouldn't-ya-know, GV brand contains milk and a milk protein......GO FIGURE!!!!! (sigh) Looks like I'm headed to Walmart again tomorrow. Hopefully the crowds won't be too bad - it'll be Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment