Sunday, January 17, 2010

In Memory of Greg Tapp


L-R: Mom, Greg & Kris Tapp (Nicole's Wedding, 03-31-07)

The day that I was expecting arrived today: Greg Tapp passed away this morning around 11:30 after a heroic battle with a very rare, and very aggressive, form of cancer. He was 58 years young. Greg is greatly missed, but I am comforted in his unwavering faith and trust in the Loving God. I know Greg is resting peacefully in Heaven tonight.

I have many great, and wonderful memories with Greg. Several years back I came home from college and Tapp Farms was short a couple of helping hands in the hay meadow. Greg called my Dad - who is also named Greg - who said I was home and available to work. Greg came to the house and politely asked if I would be interested in driving a truck. My response was quick: SURE! But then I got nervous and asked, "Is it automatic or standard? Because I don't know how to drive a stick-shift." Greg laughed, and fussed at me, then said he would fuss at my Dad for not teaching me the very important task. After switching vehicles - from a standard one to an automatic - we went to the hay meadow and I slowly and carefully drove the truck, pulling a large flatbed trailor, down the rows for the guys to load the hay bales. I had the easiest job of the day. Lucky for me!!!!

Anybody that attended the wedding of Kevin and I would attest, it was a pretty awesome event! Of course, majority of the Tapp's were in attendance. In fact, Kelby was in the wedding party. Kaleb was scheduled to be in Louisville that morning, but he adjusted his plans so he could attend the wedding - it was a very nice gesture and a pleasant surprise for me when I was walking down the aisle and noticed Kaleb sitting in the pew. It meant a lot to me that he was there for my wedding, it was a very special day.

After the wedding ceremony and reception at the Methodist Church in Clay, the real party moved to "The Bunkhouse" at Mom and Dad's in Sebree. There were many, many people and enough food and drinks to feed an entire Army batallion! Before Kevin and I started opening gifts, we took a truckload of people to Tapp Farms to check out their operation, including the equipment, cattle, pigs, and grain elevators. Have you ever seen a bride, wearing her wedding dress and veil, walking around a farm, sitting on tractors, and petting baby pigs!?!?!?!? Somebody...somewhere...has pictures of this memorable event, oh how I wish I had these photos today.

Perhaps my favorite memory with Greg Tapp was my first, and last, day in the tobacco patch. Kaleb and Kelby were already in the field and Greg was looking for another hand on the planter. He calls my Dad first, and then calls me. What was I going to do, say no? NO WAY! Of course I said yes! Besides, it sounded like fun. I had never planted tobacco before.

Greg and I pull up to the tobacco patch and I get situated on the planter. Now, I'm not even going to try to explain how this particular machine works, but it doesn't seem too complicated until the tractor engine starts and the feeders start moving. I thought I had decent eye-and-hand coordination, but after this experience, I felt stupid, useless, and just plain dumb!!!!!! The feeder turned really fast and I couldn't keep the silly thing full of tobacco seedlings, so Kelby and Kaleb were having to walk behind the planter with a tray of seedlings to fill in the gaps that I had missed. Needless to say, that wasn't working out too well - - for me, or for them! I felt really bad. I was trying really hard, but it just wasn't going to happen. I got off the planter and Kelby took my seat; he wasn't too pleased with my tobacco planting capabilities. Greg was laughing at me......I'm glad somebody found some humor in my ridiculous state! So, needless to say, I was hired - AND FIRED! - from Tapp Farms, Inc. within a matter of minutes. I didn't even stay long enough to get onto payroll OR get a t-shirt with my name on it!!!!!!!

Greg, bless you. I know you are comfortable tonight and finally at peace and painfree. I miss you terribly but I am comforted by your heroic battle with that terrible, awful, aggressive, and just plain unfair cancer. I can't ask why it was you that had to suffer, because I wouldn't understand the response. But I know you touched many lives, and you are loved by many, including me. You are, and always will be, a very dear man in my life. I love you, and I miss you.

My thoughts, prayers, and love to the entire Tapp family - they are some very special people. I love you Kris. I love you Cassie. I love you Kelby. I love you Kaleb.

No comments:

Post a Comment