Saturday, March 6, 2010

The desire to lose weight - vs. - desire to be a couch potato

Today I did something I never thought I would: shop for home exercise equipment. Kevin offered to purchase an elliptical machine for me, if I find a good deal and agree to use it. Sounds like a good idea to me. I find it, he pays for it! There's a slight twist to my adventure today, I also went to Haverty's and looked at couches.

Stephanie M. said it best - it's the best of both worlds: "The couch is the perfect place to crash after a good workout on the elliptical. But the elliptical will be a constant reminder to get off the couch!!!"

The furniture that I purchased two years ago when we moved into our home, excluding Kevin's recliner and the ottoman, are showing extreme wear. Why I thought buying furniture at The Dump would be a good idea I'll never know, why didn't somebody stop my madness?!?!?!

Our couch's cushions are sagging really bad. After further examination, the couch has a poorly constructed frame and there is not a support system for the cushions. No wonder they are sagging! I should have known the deal was too good to be true.

The couch that I originally thought I wanted at Haverty's is very similar to the couch we have now, except it is a recliner couch (the two outer seats recline but the middle seat is stationary). I like the couch and it would match Kevin's recliner perfectly, it's a soft, microfiber material in a saddle brown color. It's a great color for our living room, and goes well with the existing furniture. However, I saw a similar model made of leather and fell in love. I've always preferred leather, but Kevin isn't much of a fan. I think I might have to be a "spoiled brat" on this decision and get what I want. Afterall, I'm the one who sits on the couch - he's got his own chair! I also want leather for the day - hopefully sooner than later - that I get a dog or cat. The cleanup is a breeze and the maintenance is easy. There's also less worry with accidents (i.e., spilling a drink). Hmmmm....

As for the ellipitical machine - if you knew me in high school, then you know that I began an intense strength and conditioning program at a fitness club and lost 75lbs. I was 17 years old. It was great for my golf game and excellent for my health. Fast forward to today, nearly ten years later, and that discipline is long gone.

I've used the elliptical machine before and prefer it to any other cardiovascular activity, including walking, jogging, or running on a treadmill or using a cycle. The elliptical is very low impact and extremely easy to use. The Precor EFX is perhaps the best, but they are mostly commercial machines and many other brands and models are available for household use. I've been looking at several makes and models, but I want to be careful about price, durability, and dependability. The "better" brands offer warranties on the frame and equipment, which is a selling point. I'm cautious about the cheaper models, and the reviews I've read, because I do not want to purchase a machine then several months later it breaks. You get what you pay for, I learned that lesson with the couch and oversized chair! I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

So, thanks to Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon I've researched and reviewed different models within a reasonable price range and now I've settled on four brands that have the highest recommendations: Sole (or Spirit), Smooth Fitness, Eclipse, and Schwinn.

My search for an elliptical machine will continue until I find the "perfect" deal (yeah right!) and before I buy the leather couch I have to sell the one we have now. Thus, our furniture is posted on Craigslist and I'm hoping to get "reasonable" offers this week. I've had lots of interest, but no serious inquiries. Kevin can post something ridiculous and it'll sell within an hour. No joke. He has sold trailers, tractor implements, and tack like an entrepreneur!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment