Friday, July 23, 2010

BEYOND ME - Romans 12:10

Have you ever been in a room with 600 middle school students excited about their successful mission trip? Have you worshiped Jesus along side them?


WOW!


This morning I drove to Georgetown for the CTCYM junior high mission trip closing ceremony. It was beautiful. I got to watch as an outsider as the teams arrived wearing matching t-shirts, some had dyed their hair wild shades of purple and blue, and everyone was clearly excited but I could sense their exhaustion. They did incredible work in South Texas this past week: installation of insulation and duct work, exterior painting, debris removal, and construction of wheelchair ramps and decks. Whomever thought 7th and 8th graders were self-absorbed and "me"-oriented has not experienced the passion and servant's spirit of CTCYM junior youth! They might be small in numbers and stature, but these young people know how to praise Jesus and do the work God calls them to do.

Today has been a very special, very long day. I had an exceptionally wonderful day yesterday (job interview went really well, keeping my fingers and toes double-crossed!!!!) and I think it contributed to me not being able to sleep. I woke up at 3:15 am. After tossing and turning for 30 minutes, I got up. No use in disturbing Kevin's sleep. I surfed the web, read teacher-related articles, and even browsed a few retail shops online. Finally, it was time to change clothes and leave for Georgetown.

Driving to a destination nearly three hours away - alone - tends to get my thinking wheels moving at an irate speed. I admit to talking out loud to myself. I had lots of silly, giddy, OMG-type questions for God today. I cranked up the volume on the radio and sang as if I were on stage at the MGM Grand...God loves to hear my sing...then I listened to praise and worship music and let the lyrics become prayers of my heart.

MY REDEEMER LIVES
The very same God - that spins things in orbit - runs to the weary, the worn and the weak - and the same gentle hands that hold me when I'm broken - they conquered death to bring me victory

CALL ON JESUS
I'm so very ordinary - nothing special on my own - oh, and I've never walked on water - and I have never calmed a storm - but when I call on Jesus - all things are possible - I can mount on wings like eagles and soar - When I call on Jesus, mountains are gonna fall - cause He'll move Heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call

I believe in the power of prayer and I am sure that God is listening to every word. I have been weary, felt worn, and very weak. Perhaps I've been climbing a mountain the past couple of weeks, only the mountain was in the form of self-doubt, dismay, frustration, and low self-esteem. Maybe I am getting close to the top, maybe.....

I listened very intensely to the keynote speaker's message at the closing ceremony today; it's a message I have been hearing a lot lately: 1) Pray, 2) Study, and 3) Fellowship.

By praying, I develop a better relationship with God. Communication is key to every relationship; Jesus is my friend and He wants me to communicate (pray). Secondly, I have to study and read God's Word: The Bible. If I am a friend, a beacon of Christ's light to others, I need direction and inspirtation to meet their needs. The Bible is not a dusty old book on a shelf, it's a living, breathing document filled with hope. Finally, I have to participate in fellowship. I want an attitude of love and acceptance - I want to connect with others. That connection, a formation of community, is relationship and fellowship at the most elementary level. It's cliche, but it's true: there is no "I" in TEAM. Just like iron sharpens iron, I have to surround myself with other believers to hone and improve ourselves to share the love of Christ, to make disciples.

After sharing the Holy Sacrament of Communion with the 2010 CTCYM Junior High Group, I heard the most poignant phrase and it concluded the event beautifully: the Spirit of God is in relationships.

What else is there to say?

On a much lighter note...I was in Round Rock and did NOT stop at the premium outlet shoppes. I did, however, spend $70 at IKEA and bought two - yes TWO - dresses at Dress Barn for consideration to wear at E's wedding. I like them both, believe me: I don't wear dresses often so for me to even purchase TWO on one day is an astonishing fact. 

Option #1 is a black floral sheath dress with a tint of turquoise (looks white in the picture). I really like the shape of this dress. The size 18 fit, but the bust area was too tight for my liking and I did not feel comfortable, so I bought the 20. Modesty counts for me.

and.....

Option #2 is a navy and white polka dot dress with a unique collar. Please excuse my lack of fashion terminology. I was uncertain about the big polka dots, but this fits well, conceals the bust, and is long enough to reach my knees. The only drawback to this option: I don't have shoes to wear with it.

I do not wear a lot of jewelry so accessorizing a LBD would be very difficult for me. I like the simplicity of my wedding band and diamond stud earrings.

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that second dress. Very nautical! I say spring for new shoes to match! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Holly...the second one! And I would go with nude-colored shoes (and they'd be neutral enough to wear again...possibly for teaching!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love both! i think the first one would look great with your new black espadrilles, and the second one is so classic - i think you'll have it forever. :) neither of these dresses even needs a lot of accessories, so you'd be good to go with your ring and earrings...(and maybe a fun bracelet? maybe?) :) i think if you find a nude/neutral shoe to go with that navy dress, you'll also find that it will go with other things, too. :) and if you had to go up a size to fit one part of your body, but it's a little loose other places, go see how much it would be to have it taken in to fit you perfectly! usually it's less than $15 and you'd be amazed what a difference it makes. enjoy your new dresses, lady!!!! you did great. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about being blessed with stylish friends - thanks for the comments Ladies!

    I'm surprised that I bought two dresses AND that I like them both. I have 14 days to find "neutral" (and comfy) shoes for the polka-dot dress if I wear it to the wedding.

    Let the search begin........

    ReplyDelete