Saturday, November 27, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

There are no words to describe the delight I have experienced this past week in Kentucky. Dorothy was right, "there's no place like home!" The weather was spectacular - sunny most days with very cool temperatures, plus a light dusting of snow on Thanksgiving Day! It was great to see everybody too. I have such a wonderful family...related and non-related.

As I do every time I pull out of the driveway headed back to Texas, I cried like a baby.

When I arrived Sunday afternoon (I left Texas at 2:30 am, so my arrival time was earlier than usual), Mom and Dad and their pack of pets greeted me in true Kentucky fashion. Tess, Ben, and Speck were wagging their tails so fast their bodies were twisted. I met the two newest members of the family: Misfit and Janey, the adopted cats. There was obviously one doggie missing and I was quick to ask, "Where's Case?" She had somehow escaped Doggie Daycare (a.k.a. Mom and Dad's house) and was still on farm-arrest (a.k.a. staying with her rightful owner, Kaleb, at the farm).

Before I went to the farm to "rescue" Case, I had to make a visit to the cemetary. Since it had been a full year since I had been home to KY, I missed the funeral of G.T. One reason I wanted to come home for Thanksgiving - besides the obvious turkey day celebration and family time - was to pay my respects graveside. I miss G so much.

I spent a lot of time driving around the beautiful countryside of Western Kentucky visiting family (remember, I don't have friends - I have extended family members!) and taking pictures along the way. There were times when I would park my car on the side of the road and walk into the empty fields. Believe me, I am not afraid to get mud on my shoes. Most of the fields in the area are empty, have been rolled over, but some have short corn stalks still standing. Also, most of the leaves have fallen off the trees so the views from hilltops are clear and without obstruction. I hope you enjoy the photos!

Thanksgiving 2010 - McDaniel Family (Louisville, KY)
Back row: Georgia, Brenda, Steve, Carol, me, Kathy, Belinda, Brian, and Jessica
Front row: Joyce, Noah, Eddie, and Nana Rose

Case Tapp

Church located between Dixon and Clay, KY



Country road take me home...

Dad and Kelby (nice sunglasses!)


Main Street - Sebree, Kentucky
I took this picture at 4:00 am this morning; perhaps the lights were left on just for me. Obviously, in Smalltown, U.S.A., there's not a whole lot of activity in the downtown area at this time of day!

There's nothing better than an afternoon drive through the KY countryside!

This is the field behind Mom and Dad's house.

Dad's sweet corn patch and large garden spot and more Tapp farmland in the background.

New friends at Deer Creek Lodge

Jessica (Brian's girlfriend), me, and Brian (my cousin)

Kentucky Sunrise - BEAUTIFUL

After eating a Thanksgiving meal, you have to take a nap!
me, Uncle Cris, Brian (he's hiding behind the pillow), and Jessica
Carol and Georgia are seated at the table.

Bridge to Sycamore Lane
This is Mom and Dad's entrance. Their house is atop the hill and The Shop is the white building on the right, at the bottom of the hill. It's an oasis, party-central, and an all-around awesome place.

Me = HAPPY
The old barn behind me is full of tobacco, but the Tapp's will be emptying it soon.

Ben is giving me lots of kisses; he's probably the sweetest dog I've ever known. And, I've known a lot of dogs in my 26 years!

I'm standing next to Dad's large garden spot and sweet corn patch. The county road is behind me, on the other side of the tree-lined creek.

Smiling Cousins
Noah will be 10 on Dec 13 and I will 27 on Dec 17. We like to CHEESE in pictures!



Robards School
This is my elementary (k-6th grades) school. I was in the last graduating class before the school closed. It makes me sad to see the property's poor condition. I have such fond memories at this building. We were the Roaring Eagles!

I was going to say this is the road Mom and Dad live on, but just about everybody that's anybody lives on this road. And if they don't, they wish they did!!!!

SNOWY SURPRISE!
Black Friday was actually a white one in Louisville - I don't think my car has seen snow until now.

Steeple at Webb Memorial United Methodist Church - Clay, KY
This is my 'home' church and where Kevin and I were married in 2007. I love the steeple, it is one of my favorite features of the building.


The Dog Pack
Speck, Case, Ben, and Tess

Webster County High School - my alma mater (class of 2002)

After 11 hours of driving, I was so happy to see this sign!!!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. awwww Nicole....these pictures make me tear up....thank you for sharing. -Emily Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana Rose and I just looked at your pictures and read your sweet blog. Nana started crying when you I read you cried everytime you leave KY! We loved all the pictures. Nana saw them with her magnifying glass. It was so good to see you and you made our Thanksgiving complete. You have a million dollar smile and you light up the room. We love you and miss you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! So glad you got to go home and spend Thanksgiving with your family. You are absolutely, 100% correct, there is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete