Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Roper's Wife Tale




Country music. Team ropers. Dirt flying through the air. Click, clack, click, clack of horseshoes. Just another evening at the roping pen...

It's Tuesday evening at the Four Horse Arena in Burleson and the guys are practicing before they start a round-robin jackpot competition. If you are not familiar with the sport of team-roping, let me give you the five-cent explanation version: one roper on horseback ropes the steer's head, another roper on horseback ropes the back two feet, and the quickest time wins.

I must be a magnet for old men because one sat beside me all night at the roping pen. I didn't get his name but he told me he had been married more than 56 years, lost his $4,000 set of false teeth yesterday, got stepped on by a horse this morning, and he has male urinary problems. What did I ever do to deserve this kind of conversation?!?!?!?!

The night didn't fare too well for Kevin either. He had 10 runs with 1o partners and seven of the headers missed in the first round, the other three runs dropped in the second and final round. Not a good night for Ropin' H Ranch - - - and so the saga continues.....




After two hours, I came home to my warm Snuggie and "National Lampoon Christmas Vacation." There's nothing like the humorous Griswold family Christmas adventure!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment