Friday, July 2, 2010

Woof! Woof!

Blame Kimberly for this post, it's all her fault.

I want a dog. Bad. Yesterday, I inflicted self-torture as I browsed dog adoption agencies in North Texas and uhhh-ahhh'd over cute puppy pictures. I even completed an online quiz that determined my compatibility with various dog breeds. My requirements are not too extensive, but I have some preferences: medium size, minimal shedding, and cute. Cuteness is important. Several breed options appeared and one in particular struck my attention because it's a breed that I had honestly forgotten about; but, I'm familiar with it from previous experience: Cocker Spaniel.


When my parents and I lived in Clay, KY our neighbors across the street (the McCormick's) had a cocker spaniel named Rudy. He was an awesome dog: very friendly, mild-tempered, and really chubby. For many years, Rudy was the only "grand dog" so his spoiled level was off the chart! He pretty much got whatever he wanted....plus, he was cute. (I told you cuteness was high on the priority list.)

One thing I love about Cockers is their size. They make wonderful cuddle buddies (that's another priority of mine) without taking up an entire space, such as a couch or bed. Remember, Kevin and I have two horses so a Great Dane would be completely inappropriate! I also love Cocker's curly hair, especially around their ears. However, I prefer Cockers to have a short, trimmed coat. I think that would be most appropriate in Texas anyway, especially in the summertime.

As for the puppy I want, well it doesn't exist. YET! (This is where you are allowed to laugh out loud.) My dear friend, past roomie, and best buddy - Kimberly - has a sister with a cocker spaniel that might have puppies this summer. My response to Kimberly, "I'm in!" That's pretty much all the coaxing she needed. How cool would it be for Kim and I to have sibling doggies?! AWESOME!!!!!!!!


I've already thought of a name for my cocker spaniel if it is a female and golden (blonde) color: Blanche. Think back to the hit TV show, "The Golden Girls." I love watching re-runs and the characters are hilarious. Bea Arthur played Dorothy, Estelle Getty played Sophia, Betty White was Rose, and Rue McClanahan played Blanche. I love all the characters - Rose probably my favorite because she was so naive - but Blanche was a Southern debutante that you just have to love; her charm was so appealing and delightfully funny. Besides, I don't think my Nana would appreciate me naming the first "grand dog" after her! (My grandmother's name is Rose.)


If cocker spaniels are good enough for Oprah, they're good enough for me.

Woof! Woof!

3 comments:

  1. adopting a dog has to be one of THE best things i've done so far. we perused petfinder.com for about a year before we got married, and when we finally went to the shelter to pick one out, i found that she picked us. good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! Your encouraging words mean so much and I, too, am looking forward to the day I finally get a dog!!!!!!

    Happy Fourth and God bless,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl. Don't let Kevin talk you out of a cocker. We love Cyn-Cyn and Missy even if they are the lady and the tramp(cyn-cyn)

    ReplyDelete